Need a Kitchen job with more meaning?
Would you like to cook in an incredibly well designed industrial kitchen?
Are you looking for a fun and fast paced workplace?
Do you want to work an 8 hour day, with no split shifts and finish work at 7pm? (dependent on group needs)
Would you like to work with a fun and encouraging “Jamie Oliver” style kitchen-leadership team?
At Tōtara Springs Christian Centre (TSCC), we believe in practically demonstrating the love and compassion of Jesus through providing excellence in everything that we do. Our gifted and motivated team has the privilege of creating unforgettable memories for groups of people all year round.
You will contribute to the present and future culture of our amazing organisation and sharing God's love. This is an opportunity to join an organisation that lead and inspire the youth of tomorrow, a place where life-changing experiences happen every day.
Tōtara Springs is the largest centre of its kind in New Zealand and is the ultimate venue for church retreats, school camps, sports activities, business conferences, artistic events, holiday camps and family reunions. We are situated in a beautiful setting, nestled at the foot of the Kaimai mountain ranges in Matamata. There are 37 hectares of park-like grounds and native bush with streams, walks and bush trails. We have a large indoor sports and activity centre and breakaway areas, as well as a large hot pool fed by natural springs. We have guests of all ages who travel from afar to enjoy our beautiful setting and outstanding hospitality.
About the role:
We are seeking to recruit 2 cooks as part of the catering team at Tōtara Springs
This is a full-time position as part of the catering team at Tōtara Springs.
The purpose of the role is to:
- Provide excellent food services to our guests
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of meals
- Provide assistance in completing the food control plan
Your duties will include but not limited to:
- Plan menus and estimate food requirements.
- Preparing, cooking and portioning food, gravies, and sauces.
- Seasoning food during cooking, placing it on plates, and adding garnishes;
- Delivering prepared meals and snacks to guests.
- Prepare and deliver meals for guests with special dietary requirements.
- Storing food in temperature-controlled facilities;
- Managing ovens, grills and other cooking equipment.
- Train other kitchen staff and apprentices.
- Managing portion control and minimising waste.
- Cleaning dishes, utensils and the kitchen.
- Ensure excellence in all aspects of meals and snacks.
- Examining foods and ingredients to ensure quality;
- Comply with Health & Safety policy and standards.
The key terms and conditions of the employment:
Place of work:
You will be delivering your work at our Tōtara Springs Christian Centre located at 288c Taihoa North Road, Matamata, Waikato, New Zealand
Hours of work:
- We guarantee minimum of 40 hours per week of work.
- Workday includes 8 hours per between Monday to Sunday, 6.30am to 7.00pm
- The Employee may be required to work additional hours as agreed between the Parties. This may include weekends and evenings.
- Hourly rate of NZ$27.80 will be paid.
- Salary is paid fortnightly.
Other terms and conditions of proposed employment
- 15-minute paid rest breaks and one 30-minute unpaid meal break throughout an 8-hour workday.
- We have accommodation on site that staff can rent, if available.
- Annual leave of 20 days of annual holidays, (the equivalent of 4 weeks of annual holiday, in accordance with the Holidays Act 2003)
- 10 days of sick leave after 6 months of continuous employment
- Bereavement leave of up to 3 days
- Parental leave in accordance with the Parental Leave and Employment Protection Act 1987
- Domestic Violence leave in accordance with relevant law
- Kiwi Saver contribution for New Zealand citizens and resident class visa holders
- Please note, the Employer operates 7 days per week and may require the Employee to work on a public holiday.
- Where this occurs, if the Employee works on a public holiday that is not a normal working day for them, they shall be paid at the rate of time and a half of their relevant daily pay or average daily pay for the time actually worked. If the Employee works on a public holiday that is a normal working day, the Employee shall be paid at the rate of time and a half of their relevant daily pay or average daily pay for the time actually worked, and receive one day as an alternative paid holiday to be taken at a later date.
- Testing for non-prescribed drugs, stimulants and alcohol.
- Compliance with required health and safety standards, including Covid related and government-imposed restrictions and obligations
- Compliance with organization policies and rules
You value the delivery of high-quality food and customer services. You are not afraid to take initiative and roll up your sleeves to work through your task list.
You have the following attributes:
- Hard-working and efficient
- Dynamic and creative
- Team player
You fulfil the following requirements:
- At least 1 year experience in kitchen and food preparation
- Experience working in a commercial kitchen with modern appliances
- Knowledge and experience in catering for large events
- Ability to provide training and transfer knowledge to others with confidence
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
We know there is someone out there who loves people and is a superstar in the kitchen. If the above sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
Shortlisted candidates will be subjected to background checks required under the Children's Act as part of pre-employment screening. Our ideal candidate will share a commitment and enthusiasm towards the Christian faith.
Please provide at least 3 references.
(Note, non-Family please)
- 1 Pastoral
- 1 Employer/Teacher
- 1 Friend